Documentation Required for Child Care Eligibility

1. Proof of Identity

Provide 1 of these documents:

  • Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Copy of Baptismal Record. You must verify birth for all your children under 18 (this proves your family size)
  • Social Security number for all family members (optional)

2. Proof of NYC Address

Provide 1 of these documents:

  • copy of current utility bill
  • pay stub (if address is printed on stub)
  • rent receipts (showing current address)
  • section 8 award letter
  • NYCHA certificate

3. Poof of legal residence in US

The parent’s immigration status does not impact eligibility. Eligibility is based on the child’s status. the child needs to be either a citizen or legal resident.

Provide 1 of these documents as proof of legal residency:

  • Immigration department form I-94
  • Alien registration card
  • Naturalization papers
  • lawyer’s letter

4. Proof of all income benefits

To show you qualify, you must verify all income and benefits for your family.

A. If you are employed working at least 20 hours per week:

Collect your pay stubs to show your income sources:

  • If your gross pay is the same every time you get paid, provide copies of consecutive pay stubs for the last 4 weeks.
  • If you receive different amounts of pay from week to week, provide copies of consecutive pay stubs for the last 12 weeks.
  • If you don’t get pay stubs, use the Referral to employer Form 1069

B. If you are self-employed:

Provide copies of your business and personal tax returns: immigration department form I-94

  • If a Sole Proprietorship, IRS, 1040, schedule C and SE
  • If a Parntnership, IRS 1040, 1065, Schedules K-1 and SE
  • If you have been self-employed less than three months, provide a notarized statement of income
  • If you have been self employed 3-12 months, provide an accountant’s statement

C. If you receive Alimony or Child Support:

  • Complete Form 1081

D. If you are you receiving Social security, SSI, Disability, Retirement, Pension/Annuity income:

  • provide copy of check, current award letters or SSA Form 245B

5. Reason for Needing Care

If your family meets the income requirements, you will also need to demonstrate at least one (1) reason for child care in order to qualify for a child care subsidy

A. Attending School or Vocational Training

If you attend classes at least 20 hours per week at a high school or GED program or a 2 year college: Complete training Verification Form 1082

B. Working 20 or more hours per week

Documents required are listed under Proof of income an benefits section

C. Receiving preventive or protective services

If your child needs preventive or protective services, complete Form W186-D-2

D. Receiving services from HRA

If you have been referred to child care services due to homelessness or domestic violence, complete Form 1019.

Check to see if you are eligible for child care assistance.

Eligibility for affordable or no cost early care and education programming is based on factors including why you require care, and your family’s income and size.

You can check your eligibility for child care, and many other programs, by visiting Access NYC.

Immunization Requirements

Download the PDF

Immunization Requirements for School and Daycare Entrance/Attendance for the 2019-20 school year

For questions, please call: (518) 473-4437 or send email to: immunize@health.ny.gov.

More ways to get help with Head Start for 3-4 year olds.

EarlyLearn NYC Head Start | NYC Department of Education

Visit the website

Visit the EarlyLearn NYC Head Start website for more information.

Call 311

Ask for EarlyLearn Head Start if you need help.

Visit a center

Visit a Family Welcome Center near you to get help in person.